VAFB LFs and LCCs

For general discussion about almost anything missiles. Come on in, pull up a chair and let's talk about any missile related matters and missile news not covered in other forums.

VAFB LFs and LCCs

Postby Scopie on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Does anyone know if the Minuteman facilities at Vandenberg AFB were ever generated to alert status during times of international tension during the Cold War? Or would that have even been possible?
Scopie
MMII ILCS
ILCS 33
490 SMS, 341 SMW/DOTI
1981-1985
Scopie
2 RVs
2 RVs

Re: VAFB LFs and LCCs

Postby PointSalJim on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Scopie wrote:Does anyone know if the Minuteman facilities at Vandenberg AFB were ever generated to alert status during times of international tension during the Cold War? Or would that have even been possible?

Someone at Vandenberg once told me some time after the fact that the facilities were put on alert during the Cuban Missile Crisis. But I never really believed it. I mean, VAFB didn't have missiles just sitting around ready to put in LF's, except what they got from other bases for test purposes. And I doubt that they had any warheads in storage. Besides, I just couldn't see us nuking Castro from California!
PointSalJim
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby nukesguy on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:35 am

Minuteman, not that I am aware of. But the 576th was an active Atlas Squadron at VAFB. The coffin launchers are still there and preserved as part of Vandenberg's history and legacy.
nukesguy
2 RVs
2 RVs

Postby SAC Killer on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 pm

nukesguy wrote:Minuteman, not that I am aware of. But the 576th was an active Atlas Squadron at VAFB. The coffin launchers are still there and preserved as part of Vandenberg's history and legacy.

It was active before the coffins. In the old days of the soft launchers (Atlas C?) there were three alert birds on the soft pads at Vandy. And in fact, when Nikita Krushchev visited the USA (and was deeply disappointed that the Secret Service would not let him visit Disneyland), they took him on the train through Vandy. And showed the three Atlas sites to him as they rolled by, telling him that they were an example of America's missile might. What they didn't share was that he was looking at America's entire ICBM arsenal at the time.
490 SMS
321 SMW Maintenance
AFRPL
SAC Killer
5 RVs
5 RVs

Postby Tim on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:17 pm

As I recall, while at IQT at Vandy back in Oct 1980, the three Atlas pads with gantries were still in place.

Tim
Tim
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby bedbug on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:51 am

A neighbor knowing I was in SAC and Cuban Missile crisis, gave me a book " JFK and the unspeakable" by James W. Douglass. 2008
He clames that in Scott Sagan book " The limits of safety" that Vandy had 9 warhead pointed at the Soviets. He also has the generals trying to push JFK into a war with Cuba and the USSR by sending bombers past their turn around point, and moving equiptment into possition to attack Cuba the generals hoped the USSR would strike first.
MFT crew 43
570th SMS D-M 1963 to 66
2 T-II launches down test range.
bedbug
3 RVs
3 RVs

Postby Atlas D MMT on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57 pm

There were Atlas-Ds on alert during the Cuban Crisis at Vandenberg on the 576 B three LSBs. Atlas 39D was airlifted from FE Warren and mated to LSB-B2 during the alert.
The 576-B LOB and LSBs were demolished last year.

Atlas D MMT
2 RVs
2 RVs

Return to Missile Coffee House